Monday, December 28, 2009

December 28, 2009

From: Claire Owen <clairebang.owen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM
Subject: Re: Liebe Schwester!
To: Lauren Bangerter <sisterbangerter7@myldsmail.net>

Dear Lauren -
It was so great to hear your voice on Friday!  I'm sorry I got so
emotional - I didn't realize I would react that way!  I'm just so
grateful for you and your hard work and great example to me.  I miss
you all the time, and look forward to the day we can communicate more
frequently!
Well, like I said on the phone, we have been up at Uncle Grant's cabin
with Michael's family for the last week.  It was so great!  I was
amazing how much more time you have with each other when something as
basic as internet access isn't available - though I was sad that I
couldn't write you.  It really was a blessing to be up there.  We came
home the 26th, but didn't want to have to pack up and go the day after
Christmas - so we celebrated Christmas Eve on the 23rd (Joseph Smith's
birthday) and Christmas on Christmas Eve.  It was a little strange,
but ended up working very nicely.  We rented a piano and took it up
there so that we could feel a little more like home - and I brought up
mine and your sewing machines (thanks, by the way!).  This also helped
it feel homey.  I was in charge of the menu and shopping and making
sure that we had enough food for the entire week without having to go
to a grocery store.  It worked fairly well, if I say so myself - and I
learned a lot.  I think I'll be much better at that job next time.
Abby was a little overwhelmed to have so many "new" Aunts, Uncles, and
Grandparents doting on her all the time, but she soon got used to it!
She has had a week full of gratitude - by that I mean that she has
learned to say "ank oo" (thank you) every time you help her with
anything!  It is so cute!  Her dance moves are expanding and improving
- and she frequently pulls new dance partners into the living room,
walking backwards, and proceeds to instruct them how to dance.  She
was also able to observe and copy her dad and aunts playing Pump It Up
- which furthered her dance moves repertoire even more.  At the cabin,
she played in the snow - and loved it!  She fell down a bit, but was
so insulated that it really wasn't a bother to her.  She just got two
molars - making her mouth quite full with 10 little teeth!  She really
seems to know what she wants and how to get it - and is usually polite
in going about it, which means she usually gets what she wants.
Still, she's had to learn that somethings "aren't for Abby!" She's
very good about not touching things we tell her "no" to, and
frequently reminds me that it is off limits to her by wagging her
little finger at the object (puzzle, power socket, yarn and current
knitting project) and saying "No, no," then walking past it.  The same
principle applies with things that could hurt her - "ouch! Ouch!" she
says, while pointing at the pins, hot stove, or other dangerous item.
Her other grand breakthrough has been "I luv oooo" (I love you), which
I think she thinks is one long word, but she definitely knows the
meaning of.  I say "I love you Abby!" and she responds "I-luv-ooo" and
gives me a sweet hug (her face leaned toward mine, or on my shoulder,
saying "ahhhh" with all the right inflections).  This melts all family
members within hearing distance - even if she's not addressing them.
Other words:  she calls all bears "Pooh," in honor of Winnie-the- .
She still loves "Babies" (she puts an 's" on the end of lots of words
- "hi's", "bye's", etc..).  She often starts words that begin with the
letter "s" with a "y" sound instead:  "Yets" is Seth, "Yit" or "Yits"
is sit, and "yocks" is socks.  She loves her "cote" (coat), "boos"
(boots), "at" (hat), and "ooes" or "oosh" (shoes).  She just learned
about "jarbij" (garbage) and loves to help out by running little
pieces of trash to the trash can and throwing them in with all her
might.  She then claps for herself and comes back for more.  Oh, she
also witnessed Papa (our Dad) cleaning the floor the other day, and
soon imitated him by pulling out Mom's clean washcloths, getting on
her hands and knees, and scrubbing back and forth like Cinderella.  So
cute.  She loves to "clean" like that.
Well, can you tell that I love my little girl?  I'm so excited for her
to have a sister!  Oh - and I seriously need name suggestions.  I'm
starting to get a little panicky.
I love you Lauren!  I'm praying for you - and your companion - and
your Russian!  You are having unique and special experiences - I'm
glad you're such a good record keeper - I can't wait to hear about
more of your experiences some day!  Still, I'm glad for the taste we
get each week!
I hope you're doing well!
Love,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment